BIEDO Clean & Clever Program
What is the Clean and Clever Program?
Good resource management is good business as well as being good for the environment. It can be used to increase profitability by better managing water, waste and energy.
Clean and Clever is a program designed to help organisations and businesses to maximise their resource management and is being delivered by BMRG partner, the Burnett Inland Economic Development Organisation (BIEDO).
Clean and Clever is a strategic 10-year program. It was originally designed to assist the inland Burnett to transition to an innovative, vibrant Green Economy but through the Clean and Clever Business initiative aims to help businesses throughout the Wide Bay Burnett to become more sustainable.
Once you have decided that you want to be part of the Clean and Clever program, BIEDO’s Clean and Clever Business Officer will conduct a free interview and/or site assessment. Together, you discuss and decide which of BIEDO’s services best suit your business needs. Clean and Clever can also provide practical advice and solutions on overcoming any barriers you may face when trying to make these changes.
The BMRG Is proud to be recognized as a Clean and Clever Champion and recommends that business in the Burnett Inland, Wide Bay and surrounding regions contact BIEDO on (07) 4169 7851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for their free assessment.
How did the BMRG qualify as Clean and Clever champions?
We believe when we’re out there ‘talking the talk’, it’s important to also be ‘walking the walk.’ BMRG implemented a range of energy efficient practices to reduce our carbon footprint (and dropped our power bills). It really wasn’t that hard – so we’d encourage everyone to take up the challenge and give it a try. This is what we did:
- Installed energy saving fluorescent lights
- Staff encouraged to switch off computers and screens at night rather than using standby
- Photocopier switched off at night
- Air-conditioning and heating set at recommended levels, but using the natural flow of air through the building where possible. The building used by BMRG in Bundaberg has excellent natural lighting and ventilation, reducing the need for electricity use
- Instant hot water urn in the downstairs kitchen – reducing reliance on kettles (only heating the water needed)
- Selecting equipment with a high star energy rating (fridges)
- Recycling waste
- Recycling paper
- Working towards hybrid vehicles in our fleet
- Staff encouraged to car pool to meetings / training and other events – and transport community members if possible
- Staff encouraged to use teleconferencing where possible via our virtual teleconference facilities (to reduce travel needs)
- BMRG also donate old computer equipment. Reusing is better than recycling.
- BMRG have also had a Clean and Clever audit for all three offices (Bundaberg, Wondai & Maryborough) to identify other improvements.
So why not contact BIEDO and organise your Clean and Clever business audit today?